Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Pattern review: Nicole Mallalieu Design - 150mm Purse Frame Kit

1. Name of the pattern
150mm Purse Frame Kit

2. Difficulty rating
A beginner really could do this because the actual sewing is very simple (mostly straight lines) and the instructions are incredibly detailed.

3. Were the instructions easy to follow? (And did you learn anything new from them?)
Nikki's instructions are the best I've seen. I'm normally terrible at following patterns/instructions - they always seem to be written in a different language, but not these ones! It really is like a sewing lesson in a kit. Lots of extra little bits of detail to help you improve your sewing techniques and I learn something from each pattern I try!

I'd tried to make frame purses without Nikki's patterns and they were one of the most frustrating things I've ever attempted! Nikki's work EVERY SINGLE TIME.

4. Did the finished project look like the one on the pattern cover or did you 'tweak' it? (If tweaked, what did you do change?)

The basic shape is exactly like the pattern cover. My only tweaks were extra embellishment in the form of the fabric flower and the beaded detailing.

5. Were you happy with the finished project?
Absolutely! Every purse I've made from this pattern has been a success!

6. What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love that you learn to make a purse 'properly'. All the edges are finished - no raw edges shoved into the frame like other pattern makers suggest. The purse is glued and crimped into the frame unlike so many that I've seen. I also love the general shape of the purse and the fact that extra attention is paid to things like interfacing to make a nice professional finish.

7. Would you make this pattern again? Would you recommend it to others?
I've made it many, many times and will continue to do so! And I would absolutely recommend it to others.

Vintage du jour purse

Vintage du jour purse

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Love your purse! Thanks so much for the review.

melissa said...

Wow thats a stunning purse! Truly gorgeous!