Sunday, July 27, 2008

Right!

I think I need to work harder at my job! Actually I probably need to just make it more like a job than like just doing stuff when I feel like it. I hope that doesn't take the joy out of it, but I think it's important.

So this week, I tried making more. It was late in the week when I decided to do this, so more was only two things. One thing was a birthday present, so that one is not sitting on the 'shelf' and the other thing went on the shelf and then sold within 12 hours - so the shelf is empty again!



And the totel bag was well received and sold quickly and I realised the problem with making such a great looking bag... The bar is set REALLY high now and I am a bit stuck as far as making an equally great fabric selection for the next one. I'm really nervous that a bag with a different fabric combination won't look nearly as good. Of course the only way to know is to make it. I just have to decide now between the frogs and the retro...

And back to making this a job. First, I need to make more stock. Wallets, handbags, tote bags mostly. Then I need to sell it on etsy, madeit and anywhere else I can find. I need to branch out from the current store. Then, I need to blog better/more and join in forums etc to promote my work.

I read something tonight that made a lot of sense. I have been worried about listing on places like etsy because the fees add up (even though etsy fees are such a bargain). But then I read this article and the idea of looking at each listing as an advertisement (which is really cheap at 20cents!) is a really good one.

I need to think more about pricing too. It's a tough one. The balance between paying myself decently, and the 'market price' for something is tough. I'd love to charge $200 for a handbag, but if it never sells then it defeats the purpose, right?

I SHOULD be able to make a good living from what I do. Just gotta work a bit harder at it!

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Kirrily - I had NO IDEA you had a blog.... how did that happen??? Great to see the baggy bits in action. All the best with the new approach to work.
xxn

Kirrily said...

Hehe Nikki, no one knows I have a blog! I think you're like the second person to ever see it! I put a few bags on your flickr group too, but not these new ones.

Actually you know, I didn't know you had a blog until this week either!